Friday, April 19, 2013

The Daffodils


The other day when I returned home I was delighted to see two of my daffodils had bloomed! I was so excited that even during the torrential down pouring rain; these bright yellow tokens of spring had blossomed. Although sometimes we concentrate on the negative, like the rain and blowing wind, if we look hard enough we can find a bright spot. 

Columbia School District has many bright spots in our organization. Since this is Administrative Professional’s week, I would like to introduce you to five very wonderful people who make Columbia Schools special. Ann Dyjach is the administrative assistant to the superintendent and the Board of Education. Ann has worked in the district for 23 years. She began subbing for secretaries and aides throughout the district. Her favorite thing about her job is talking to people and helping them. She loves the versatility and doing so many different things each day. When talking to her about the district she always talks about how much she likes the students. Just ask any of the students and they will tell you that she has a secret stash of candy that she keeps just for them! 

At Columbia Elementary School the administrative assistant is Lori Hunter. She is the first person our parents and staff members see when they walk into the office. Her pleasant demeanor is reassuring to parents of ill children and teachers who need some support. Lori Hunter has worked for the Columbia School District for almost 15 years. She told me, “I enjoy working for Columbia School District because of the small community. Over the years I have developed sincere relationships with students and families across the district.” She continued by saying, “I have the best job!!! In what working environment can you receive so much love every single day? I adore all the hugs that I receive in a day. The students at CES are the best. They are kind and respectable. I am so blessed to work with a group of amazing teachers, staff and the best Principal ever!!” One thing is evident to anyone who sees Lori work with children; she exhibits a loving caring spirit to all!  

When you think of Columbia Middle School you think of Bonnie Bernstein. As I asked her about her passion for the learning environment at the middle school she said, “It will be very hard to leave my secretary job because I love the kids and staff! I started this job January 9, 1998 and Mr. Kanaan was principal. At that time I was working for Onsted Bank and was tired of working week-ends so my husband Ned said they need a secretary at the middle school.” She continued by saying that initially she “had mixed feelings, but once I got here I loved it! My favorite part of my job is the students if all I had to do is help them it would be great to stay a little longer, but Ned and myself feel it is time to retire we will both be 60 yrs old this summer, I will stay till August 23, 2013, I can stay and help the next secretary get started.” 

A fixture at Columbia Options High School is Jeanne Meinka. Her cheerful smile and nurturing demeanor is positive for students and staff. She has been with Columbia School District 28 Years, the last 25 working with Columbia Option High School students. When I asked her how she liked her position at Columbia Options High School, she said, “I like working with and watching the alternative students grow and change their attitude about learning. I love to inspire them so that can be whatever they desire to do if we build confidence in each one of them. She continued by saying that, “Encouragement is the key to most all things: Educations, sports and life.” 

At Columbia Central High School we have the dynamic duo: Gail Tolford and Debbie Russell! Gail has worked in the district for 17 years. She finds it very rewarding working with the students. If she can lend a listening ear and offer any encouragement to better their day that is her reward. Students appreciate her calm demeanor and helpful assistance when they are in need. 

When students think of Debbie Russell, they think of her quick smile and laugh. After working for the Columbia School District for 21 years, she still enjoys her job. She said, “I like a lot of things about Columbia Schools but my favorite is the students. My husband and I moved to this community in 1979, my children all graduated from Columbia Central High School, I have seen a lot of changes to this community and district and I’m very proud to be a part of the Columbia family.” 

As we go through this spring and see all the beautiful bright daffodils springing up, remember all of the wonderful administrative assistants who make Columbia School District a terrific place for students, staff and teachers! If you have a chance to stop by one of the schools on Wednesday, April 24th, be sure and thank our wonderful administrative assistants! Are you interested in learning more about the Columbia School District? Give me a call at 517-592-6641 or email me at Pamela.campbell@myeagles.org .

No comments:

Post a Comment