Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Speed of Technology

Years ago as I helped my dad work in his backyard vegetable garden, I noticed the presence a snail sliding across leaves and gliding over rocks and small twigs.  It was amazing to see this little creature, with his slimy foot move his body, carefully encased in his shell across the ground.  Wow, how funny he looked with his eyes on the end of what looked like alien antennas, waving around in the air looking from side to side.  One of the interesting things was how slowly he seemed to move.  I checked and one reference quoted that a snail was clocked at 0.00758 miles per hour!  That is only 40 feet per hour.  It seemed to me that snail was incredibly slow. 
Thinking about watching the snail’s pace all those many years ago and how agonizingly slow he went made me think about technology and how fast it has changed and how slow many of us are when we are adapting to new technology and the power it gives us to increase our ability to communicate with each other.  One of my passions is communicating with parents and community members regarding all of the great things that are happening in the Columbia School District.  Last week I sent an email communication out to parents that included a link to our new weekly E-Letter.  The E-Letter features information regarding each one of the schools in our district.  The electronic newsletter has clickable links which help to facilitate navigation around our website. 
The E-Letter contained a link to our school calendar, the elementary newsletter, and my blog and twitter site.  It also featured items regarding events that have taken place over the past week along with upcoming events.  This initial E-Letter went directly to staff members and parents who have submitted their email addresses to the school.  Parents and guardians may edit their email addresses directly through their student’s PowerSchool web portal or sending it to me by email.  Community members may access the E-Letter by submitting their emails to me at Pamela.campbell@myeagles.org or may read the E-Letter by going to our home page at myeagles.org and clicking on the link at the right for the District Newsletter. 
Some of the pictures featured in the E-Letter were taken by a parent during the second grade musical, “A Martian Christmas.”  Do you have great pictures that could be used in the E-Letter or on our website?  You may submit the pictures in an email to me or drop of a flash drive or DVD containing the pictures.  In order to achieve my goal of keeping everyone up to date and informed, I will need your assistance with information and pictures.  The next E-Letter will go out on January 11, 2013.   If you have questions please email me or call me at 517-592-6641.

No comments:

Post a Comment